Courses in Christian Theology
These course offerings are intended to make theological education
accessible to a wider range of students and lay people than the regular programs
offered by the Montreal School of Theology.
A rich opportunity for those:
- seeking deeper understanding of Christian faith and spiritual enrichment; and/or
- wanting to pursue graduate theological education without earning a degree; and/or
- thinking about ordained ministry, but wanting to discern a call by trying some courses first.
These courses are given academic credit at the Masters (M. Div.) level:
Courses are offered evenings, weekends and other alternative schedules and modalities.
- Each course qualifies for three (3) credits.
- Credits may later be applied to the programs of any of the partner Colleges
of the Montreal School of Theology.
REGISTRATION OPEN FOR THE FOLLOWING COURSES:
Winter 2015: starting January 15, 2015:
Contemporary Contextual Theologies in the Canadian Landscape,
course instructor: Dr. Jessica Hetherington
This course, to be taught at the M.Div. level, is designed to introduce students to
contemporary contextual theologies, and to train them to begin to recognize:
(1) their individual contexts and how these contexts influence their understanding and
interpretations of theology; (2) the rich array of contextual theologies, including
feminist, queer, Black and womanist, ecological, postcolonial, and others; and (3)
how an understanding of contemporary contextual theologies can inform theological insight
into the signs and times of our current era. In order to direct the wide-ranging material
of such a survey course, the students will engage the topics through the lens of the
Canadian cultural, social, political, and ecological landscape.
Course dates: Fridays in person from 6:30-9 PM & Saturdays from 9:30 AM–4 PM;
January 23, 24,
February 27, 28,
April 10, 11
Thursday webinars from 7-9 PM;
Jan 15, Feb 5, 12, Mar 12, 19, 26.
This course takes place in Montreal, at the Presbyterian College, 3495 University.
NEW: Winter 2015 course offered in Ottawa:
For more information and registration,
please contact any of the participating Colleges:
Theological Perspectives on Emergence Christianity
Instructor: Alyson Huntly, PhD.
This introductory-level theology course will focus on Christianity within a rapidly-changing context.
Critical engagement with Phyllis Tickle’s description of “emergenceChristianity” will provide a
starting point for discussion. We will examine the major changes that are taking place both in
our society and in Christianity. What frameworks are being challenged and by whom) and what new
ones are emerging? Participants will reflect on implications for the church today as they think
about the mission of the church and about leadership, ministry, and discipleship.
Participants will learn how to engage in theological conversations as they read, interpret,
and respond to their own context.
CLASSES FOR THIS COURSE WILL BE HELD IN OTTAWA
Three weekend sessions: Jan 23/24, Feb 20/21, March 27/28
Webinars (Wed evenings, 6:30-8:30): Jan 28, Feb 4, Feb 11, Feb 25, March 11, March 18.
- Ms. Kathy Wiens, Administrative Assistant United
Theological College, 514-849-2042 ext.200.
Ms. Jeannette Vink,
Administrative Assistant Presbyterian College, 514-288-5256 ext. 205
- Ms. Beth Reed, Administrative Assistant Montreal Diocesan Theological
College, 514-849-3004, ext. 221.
Earlier courses offered:
- Introduction to Paul and Pauline Literature, course instructor: Dr. Matthew R. Anderson.
- EMERGENCE CHRISTIANITY: Theological Perspectives form the Quebec Context - with Dr. Alyson Huntly.
- A History of Christianity: From Luther to Oduyoye - with Dr. Lucille Marr.
- Christian Theology II; Christ, The Spirit and The Church - with Dr. John Simons.
- Christian Ethics The real world of love, faith and friendship - with Rev. Dr. Roland De Vries
- Introduction to the Hebrew Bible from Genesis to Malachi - with Rev. Dr. Gregory Davidson
- Introduction to the New Testament Jesus in text and proclamation - with Dr. Matthew Anderson
- History of Christianity From Jesus to Erasmus - with Dr. Lucille Marr
- Christian Theology I - with Rev. Dr. John Vissers and Rev. Dr. John Simons